Havarti cheese facts:
- Havarti cheese is a semisoft pale yellow cow’s milk cheese with small irregular holes that is popular as a dessert cheese served with fruit and wine.
- It is available year round at the farm.
- If bought from the store, it is best to be eaten within two weeks
- Havarti was created in the 19th century by cheese maker Hanne Nielsen, who studied European methods and then developed this cheese on her farm in Denmark.
- Harvati cheese is made by introducing rennet to milk to cause curdling. The curds are pressed into cheese molds which are drained, and then the cheese is aged.
- Havarti is a washed curd cheese, which contributes to the subtle flavor of the cheese.
- When Harvati cheese is older it becomes more salty and tastes like hazelnut.