#36 – Sakura
Sakura cheese facts:
- Sakura cheese is a soft cheese created in Hokkaidō, Japan.
- It is creamy white, and is flavoured with mountain cherry leaves.
- Sakura means “cherry blossom” in Japanese.
- It has the rare distinction of winning a “gold medal” at the Mountain Cheese Olympics in Appenzell, Switzerland, which normally favors Swiss, Italian, or French cheeses almost exclusively for awards. The medal was in the “soft cheese” category.
- It is the first widely acclaimed Japanese cheese.
- The Sakura cheese can be used to make the Sakura Rare Cheese Dessert. It is like a non-bake white chocolate cheesecake. The sakura jelly layer is tinted a lovely shade of pale pink with raspberry puree and then flavored with kirsch and sakura essence. (the second picture)
This information comes from: http://www.eatoutzone.com/Sakura_cheese.htm