#3 – Mozzarella
Mozzarella cheese facts:
- Mozzarella originated in Italy.
- It is made from cow or (traditionally) water buffalo milk.
- Mozzarella is most commonly used on pizza and lasagna.
- Mozzarella is not aged like most cheeses, and instead should be consumed a few hours after making.
- It is one of the easiest cheeses to make at home, and is a curd cheese.
- It is categorized as semi-soft and is moist.
- Mozzarella is normally white but is sometimes slightly yellow.
- Mozzarella has a rather mild flavor.
- The soreness you feel when burning your mouth on mozzarella cheese is called “pizza palette.”
- Americans at 2.8 billion pounds of mozzarella in 2003, most of which came from California, which is the U.S.’s largest producer of mozzarella cheese.
Legend has it that mozzarella was first made when cheese curds accidentally fell into a pail of hot water in a cheese factory near Naples, and soon after the first pizza was made.